September 4, 2010

No Bashing Here

To set the record straight, I am a Protestant, which is to say I am a Christian, more specifically a Baptist, going further to say I am a Born-again Christian. Now that I have cleared that up...

Is it just me or is there a lot of finger pointing, name calling, and bashing going on? When has it been okay to be so critical? And why not just keep it to yourself? If you're a religious leader, missionary, or minister...I forgive you. But civilians who are uninformed...knock it off.

I have friends and acquaintances who are Protestants, Hindi, Buddhists, Jewish, Mormon, Muslim, Catholic, Agnostic, Atheists, Shintoist, Taoist... they respect what I believe and still want me around. And I respect what they believe...we share our beliefs...sometimes we have to drop it due to disagreements, but all in all we love each other in that platonic way.

So now that I said all of that and if you are still reading...if you know I am not writing about you, unless you know I am...don't write a hate message...I will delete it.

So Grace and I are online together...sometimes we do that. We web-surf together...it's our bonding time on the net. The other day we came upon a individual that decided to bash Mormons and Muslims in the same vent/status update. And it happens more and more, everywhere we go...so I think I will settle the air.

First, I don't care how Catholic or whatever you are...if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Or if you are uninformed, hold the mouth closed 'till you are informed. Is that fair? Have they hurt you in any way? Has one of those people you are speaking cruelly about personally hurt you or insulted you? I doubt this, but again we are all human and we offend mistakenly at times.

Again, don't speak of something you know nothing about. Don't lump one group into this broad category...I don't care if you are Catholic, but not the best Catholic, I don't care what you were told or have heard or that these people make you mad. Grow up and go to the library, get a book out about the subject. The thing I love about both of my families is that they love to read, they love to research and they love to figure things out. They may have a preconception, but then they will research it and figure out where they stand. And sometimes talking with the subject of your conception may aid in your knowledge.

This isn't just about Muslims and Mormons and what not...this is about anyone who makes pre judgments and acts on them...or opens their mouths. So some radical extremists bombed this place, or they annoy you when they come to the door.. How about you pray about it, find the root of your hate and heal/forgive. Maybe you should tell them what you believe and stop hiding and not answering the door.

Maybe I am too protective, maybe I have faces in which I can see everything and anything...but it helps my world view and to understand this planet a little better.

Every time you bash a Mormon, a part of my heart aches. My wife and I have two specific people our lives that we love, as they love us. They trust us and we trust them. And when anyone bashes them (Mormons), we go into protection mode. Our hearts ache. Just know that...

Every time you bash Muslims or Jews and lump them into this broad violent category, my heart aches because I know a man who is so kind and gentle and he's Muslim...and oh yeah, I have Jews in my family.

And I don't get bitter, I don't...just somewhere in my brain I am silently not liking you at that moment. And if I know you are perpetuating stereotypes or want to stay ignorant, my respect for you goes down notches.

No comments:

Post a Comment