October 30, 2010

10 Things...

I grew up living in the suburbs of Rochester, NY.  I never lived in the city, and I only occasionally ventured into it during my childhood/teenage years.  Pretty much the only reasons I went into the city were for theatre shows with my grandparents, or possibly to visit one of the museums.  There are lots of things I never did growing up, things that some people would say are quintessential "Rochester".  I'm sure you're wondering what those things are, so here are my top 10:

  1. I never had a garbage plate until I was at the Lilac Festival one year (I was probably about 16) and I ordered one from the Nick Tahou's vendor.  No, I've never actually been to Nick Tahou's, any of them.
  2. I had no idea that Rochester had a subway until I was 19, and I never actually saw the abandoned tunnel until I was 20.
  3. I've never been to or eaten at Dinosaur Barbecue.  The closest I've been is tasting their sauce you can buy at Wegmans.
  4. I never saw a movie at the Little Theatre until I was 19.  The first movie I saw there was Nine.
  5. I had no idea that we had a Public Market until I was almost 16.  I never actually went there until I was 19.
  6. I never went into Mt. Hope Cemetery until I was 20.
  7. I never went to a Red Wings baseball game until I was 14.
  8. I've been to High Falls as a young teenager but I didn't know about the old flour mill there until I was 19.
  9. I didn't know that Rochester's founder was named Nathanial Rochester until I was 19.
  10. I've never been to Mid-Town Plaza.  EVER. I guess it's a little late now...
Check out www.rocwiki.org.  You can find all kinds of cool stuff there that you never knew about...like the Lady in White who haunts Durand-Eastman beach, and the abandoned Air Force plant near the lake.  If you're ever bored, take a look!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment